The Delicious Sour


Continuing with my apparent recent theme of cocktails with silly names comes this little ditty with a very matter-of-fact name.

As a quick aside, there's a bar in Chicago whose name escapes me where the drinks have oddly literal names. One of their house cocktails is called The Refreshing Drink. I wonder what the other cocktails on the menu are called. Maybe they have drinks such as The Pink Drink, or The Drink With Too Many Garnishes, or The Fall On Your Ass, I'll Call You A Cab Drink.

In any case, when a drink is named something like The Delicious Sour, my first reaction is something along the lines of, "Oh yeah, well I'll be the judge of that, thank you very much." Well, in this case it happens to fit, as my customers always point out. "How your cocktail?" "Oh, well, it's (wait for it) delicious, tee hee hee".

Sigh.

This one comes from Ted Haigh's Vintage Cocktails and Forgotten Spirits. Dr. Cocktail got the recipe from an 1891 cocktail book called The Flowing Bowl by William "The Only William" Schmidt. In the Jan/Feb edition of Imbibe, Haigh goes on to point out that "The Only William" seemed to favor cocktails meant for the ladies. And yes, in my own experience, ladies have been the primary audience for The Delicious Sour, which is kinda bad, kinda good. Kinda bad that the guys aren't curious, kinda good because the ladies are ordering something other than Cosmopolitans and Lemon Drops, even better that someone is ordering an egg white drink.

The Delicious Sour
1 1/4 oz Applejack
1 1/4 oz peach liquer
3/4 oz lime juice
small dash of simple syrup
1/2 egg white

Shake shake shake, then shake some more. Strain without ice into a sour glass.

Given the ingredients, I'd have thought this would have been on the sweet side, but that just isn't the case. The flavors blend well and has the silky texture the egg white provides. The only thing missing might be a dash of bitters of some nature, and part of me believes it's probably just fine without it, though I may experiment.

In any case, it is delicious (see, I can't help myself either, tee hee hee), and I'm happy to have it on the menu at Union.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kinda hard to tell from your pic, what are you using for the peach liqueur? What do you think about Southern Comfort as a substitute? I tend to think of that, perhaps inaccurately, as a peach liqueur. Using Laird's 100 proof bonded and SoCo 100 proof "Black Label" might get the guys interested!

Cheers,

Mike

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.